Re: Progress in evolution

In a message dated 95-10-26 22:59:48 EDT, Robert.J.Meyerson@uwrf.edu (Rob
Meyerson) writes:

>Dinogeorge has suggested that I should offer an alternative term for
>"primitive features."  How about "beginning characteristics."  This one has
>the advantage of being more descriptive since it describes those
>characteristics  a clade had in the beginning.

Not bad. Maybe a tad too long, but not bad. I should dig up my copy of Hennig
and see whether he used the term "primitive character" or had concocted some
more neutral term for it with Greek roots, like "promorphy" (meaning
"ancestral shape") or "perimorphy" (meaning "close shape"--close to the
beginning of a clade--a contrast to apomorphy, like "perigee" and "apogee").
It's been a while since I read the thing.