Re: carnivores descended from hrbivores.

>>Not to mention bloodsucking moths in India and carnivorous caterpillars in
>>Hawaii.  However, among terrestrial vertebrates wouldn't the megalonychids,
>>and their descendants the whales, qualify?  They are supposedly descended
>>from early hoofed animals which I presume were herbivorous.
>
>Actually (boy I just love that word don't I:-), whales evolved from
mesonychids(sp?), a wolf-like animal.

>Rob

Slip of the brain.  Mesonychids, of course, but they are still descended
from hoofed  animals as I stated.

PS: another example is the Grasshopper Mouse of the SW US, a voracious
carnivore presumably descended from herbivorous rodents.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5