THEROPODS - 'SPECIALIZED'?

> Hmm, it might not be that tricky to derive a herbivore from a carnivore but
> only when the ancestral carnivore is not a really specialized one (which most
> theropods, as far as we know, were).

Sorry, when thinking of theropods as 'specialized' for carnivory, I am thinking
the obviously raptorial species, including all those you can think of with big
pointy teeth and sharp curved claws (but not necessarily both together!). Many
other, non-raptorial groups, the best (traditional) example being the
ornithomimids, long seen as 'non-specialized'. Of course, whether that's correct
or not is another matter..

Hell, all organisms are specialized for _something_.

> _Eomanis_, the Hans Messel
> pangolin, has bits of leaves in its stomach.

Might as well say that some of the Hans Messel ants are the size of mice! Early,
forest-dwelling ratites, the first flamingo (?_Juncitarsus_ - proved that
flamingos are stilt descendants), _Diatryma_ and land-crocs are other Messel
favourites.

WAS THE DEPRESSION THAT BAD FOR ZOOLOGY?
by R. Howatt (e-mail rhw294@soton.ac.uk)

Ben, the last captive thylacine, died in Hobart zoo in 1933 (or was it 1936?
1936 was the year in which the first giant panda was bought back to England..
the okapi was 'discovered' in.. err.. about then). _Latimeria_ was identified
for what it was in 1938. In 1933, Harold Wilson supposedly took his famous Loch
Ness monster photo... King Kong became famous.. and some crazy surrealists,
including Max Earnst, started some real weird *hit:

"Corpse eyes are eerie, tiger eyes fierce, Jane Fan Dingle found owl eyes worse"

DARREN NAISH