Re: A Little Brain Teaser

>>Okay, here's a fun question for all of you to ponder: Name one carnivore
>>(extant/extinct) that can be confidently said to be derived from an
>>herbivorous ancestor. Omnivores don't count - this must be a bona fide
>carnivore (I'm not sure if insectivores count). Some graduate students here
>at Cal were talking about it yesterday and largely were stumped. All I
>could think up was that possibly carnivorous mid-Tertiary kangaroo
>(featured in Paleoworld once). I guess there's also that one
>desert-dwelling mouse that hunts voraciously (the one that howls). Any
>dinosaur examples that anyone can think of (I'm asking for good examples
>here, not wishy-washy possibilities)?

Do plants count? How about a Pitcher plant or a Venus' fly trap? They might
be considered carnivores derived from non-carnivorous ancestry. I suppose
in a sense they might be considered plant omnivores because they digest
some prey then finish up with a dessert of home-made glucose.

Sam Sevier

"Grandma, the creature ate Grandpa. Can I have his boots?"