Re: carnivores descended from hrbivores.

>There are plenty among the i nvertebrates, though I can't think of
>among terrestrial vertebrates.  Several genera of grasshoppers
>are carnivorous.  Many carnivorous fish seem to be descended
>from herbivorous ancestors.  An example would be some of the
>Tilaliids, amongs which the primitive mode of feeding was on
>algae.  Many are now carnivorous, including the mosquitoe fish,
>introduced into Lousiana to keep mosquito larvae i n check
>in catfish ponds and crawdad ponds.
>
>David

Not to mention bloodsucking moths in India and carnivorous caterpillars in
Hawaii.  However, among terrestrial vertebrates wouldn't the megalonychids,
and their descendants the whales, qualify?  They are supposedly descended
from early hoofed animals which I presume were herbivorous, though I suppose
they could have been omnivores.  Among living animals pigs might qualify, as
they are certainly carnivorous in part.  Further, among the Darwin's finches
at least one species has taken to eating blood from wounds on seabirds.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5