Re: carnivores descended from hrbivores.

>Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 14:18:11 -0700
>To: bk090@freenet.carleton.ca
>From: theropod@garnet.berkeley.edu (John R. Hutchinson)
>Subject: Re: carnivores descended from hrbivores.
>Bcc:
>>There are plenty among the i nvertebrates, though I can't think of
>>among terrestrial vertebrates.  Several genera of grasshoppers
>>are carnivorous.  Many carnivorous fish seem to be descended
>>from herbivorous ancestors.  An example would be some of the
>>Tilaliids, amongs which the primitive mode of feeding was on
>>algae.  Many are now carnivorous, including the mosquitoe fish,
>>introduced into Lousiana to keep mosquito larvae i n check
>>in catfish ponds and crawdad ponds.
>>
>>David
>>
>>--
>>From: David Brez Carlisle
>>bk090@Freenet Carleton.CA
>
>        Yes, inverts seem to have the best respresentatives - mollusks
>have some representatives (e.g. cowries) that some grad student is working
>on here, trying to resolve their phylogeny and whether there were
>herbivory/carnivory transitions, even examples of herbivores that became
>carnivores and then herbivores again. Pretty cool stuff; bears more
>looking at. Anyone know of broad taxon-sweeping studies along that line??

                        John R. Hutchinson
                  Evolving Evolutionary Biologist
                 Department of Integrative Biology
                University of California - Berkeley
                        Berkeley, CA 94720
                          (510) 643-2109

        "Thus, the student of adaptation has to sail a perilous course
between a pseudoexplanatory reductionist atomism and stultifying
nonexplanatory holism."         --E. Mayr, "How to carry out the
adaptationist program?"