Re: A Little Brain Teaser

Would the Tasmanian Wolf count?   It's from an insectivorous marsupial, I think.

-Betty
(Darren, do you know marsupials?)

Subject: A Little Brain Teaser
Date:    10/24/95 9:04 AM
Okay, here's a fun question for all of you to ponder: Name one carnivore
(extant/extinct) that can be confidently said to be derived from an
herbivorous ancestor. Omnivores don't count - this must be a bona fide
carnivore (I'm not sure if insectivores count). Some graduate students here
at Cal were talking about it yesterday and largely were stumped. All I
could think up was that possibly carnivorous mid-Tertiary kangaroo
(featured in Paleoworld once). I guess there's also that one
desert-dwelling mouse that hunts voraciously (the one that howls). Any
dinosaur examples that anyone can think of (I'm asking for good examples
here, not wishy-washy possibilities)?