Dinosaur Genera List corrections #3

In a message dated 95-10-23 20:20:50 EDT, DSmith0531@aol.com writes:

>I have one question (so far):  was this
>
>Bison alticornis Marsh, 1887
>
>a dinosaur actually referred to the genus _Bison_ ?!?  Or should this have
>been "Bisonalticornis"?

Aha! You've found another species name that should have been removed from the
list. _Bison alticornis_, of course, is what Marsh originally called
_Ceratops alticornis_ and  _Triceratops alticornis_ (a species name that has
priority over the name of the type species _Triceratops horridus_ if it could
be shown that they were synonymous). Neither _Bison_ nor "Bisonalticornis" is
a standalone dinosaur genus.

G.O.