Re: Re: FEATHERS AND POSTURE.....

>In a message dated 95-10-22 15:11:38 EDT, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
>Martz) writes:
>
>>      If Archeopteryx was arboreal, what was it doing (literally) on
>>scrub islands without trees?
>
>Even more interesting: What was it doing sunk at the bottom of a lagoon?

Well, that's an easy one.  Given a mildly-to-very anoxic environment on the
bottom, and given an animal which can fly (i.e., can be easily blown around
by storms), then all you need to get it to the bottom was to blow it out to
sea during a storm.  The various specimens show almost the entire range of
decomposition, so we have specimens which sank at different times relative
to time of death.

Aerial terrestrial animals (birds, pterosaurs, insects) are more common than
avolant terrestrial animals (lepidosaurs, Compsognathus, etc.) in the
Solnhofen, while marine animals are the most common of all.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland