Re: FEATHERS AND POSTURE.....

In a message dated 95-10-22 13:41:00 EDT, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>However, with the presence of Confuciusornis, we know that Late Jurassic
>birds were more widely distributed with regards to geography.

Yeah, but that should have been obvious to everybody long ago, as it was to
me. How come, when there is essentially one Jurassic bird taxon from
essentially one locality, nobody puzzles about the utter unlikelihood of this
being the only bird taxon in the world, but when there are TWO Jurassic bird
taxa from TWO localities, it is suddenly realized that the whole earth was
filled with them? Little jump in numbers, big jump in mindset!

One bird, one locality--well, maybe it was just luck. Two birds, two
localities--now that's luck SQUARED. Must already have been lots of birds
then. Ain't statistics grand?

G.O.