Re: THROAT OSSICLES ... ???

In a message dated 95-10-19 17:49:41 EDT, RaptorRKC@aol.com writes:

>Yes, I have seen those throat ossicles at the AMNH, and in Mr. Paul's
>restorations.  Weren't they found recently?  Older restorations to not seem
>to give their stegos throat ossicles.

They were described by Marsh when he created the species _Stegosaurus
stenops_; there are lots of them in the "road kill" specimen on display at
the Smithsonian.

>Anyway, does anyone know WHY _Stegosaurus_ had these and WHAT they were for?
> How do we know that they belonged to a Stegosaur's throat?  And exactly
what
>ARE throat ossicles?

They are small dermal bones that fit together to protect the ventral surface
of the muzzle, throat, and neck. They were found in that position in both the
"road kill" specimen and in the 1992 complete skeleton now at the Denver
Museum of Natural History.

>I am asking these questions granted that nobody objected to my asking
>questions.  ;)

>If I learn about these throat ossicles, I will be one step higher in my
>knowledge of dinosaurs.

One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.