Re: VOLUMES TO INCLUDE IN A DINO LIBRARY ?

On Thu, 19 Oct 1995 RaptorRKC@aol.com wrote:

> Hi again...
>
> I was simply wondering -- what do you'all think are good volumes to include
> in a dinosaur library?  My collection right now is meager, full of LAME
> books, and G.O. suggested to me that I begin gathering up books for a
> personal library RIGHT NOW.  Do any of your recommend anything, from
> technical volumes, to popular books, to kid's books with neat illos?  Here is
> what I already have:
>
> 1. THE DINOSAUR HERESIES (Bakker)
> 2.  THE COMPLETE T. REX (Horner and Lessem)
> 3.  DISCOVERING DINOSAURS AT THE AMNH (Norell, Dingus. etc.)
> 4. THE AMNH'S BOOK OF DINOSAURS AND OTHER ANCIENT CREATURES (Wallace)
> 5. FAMILIAR DINOSAURS (Wallace)
> 6. THE NEWS ABOUT DINOSAURS (kiddie-book by Lauber)
> 7. THE DINOSAUR SOCIETY DINOSAUR ENCYCLOPEDIA (Lessem and Glut)
> 8. PREHISTORIC LIFE: THE RISE OF THE VERTEBRATES (Norman)
> 9. DINOSAUR! (Norman)
> 10.  RIDDLE OF THE DINOSAUR (forget the guy's name!)
>
> And here are a few I think I need:
>
> 1. THE DINOSAURIA (Dodson, Weishampel, Osmolska)
> 2.  ARCHOSAURIAN ARTICULATIONS 2 (Olshevsky)
> 3. THE ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF DINOSAURS (Norman)
> 4. THE NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM BOOK OF DINOSAURS (Gardom, Milner)
> 5. DIGGING DINOSAURS (Horner)
> 6. DINOSAURS PAST AND PRESENT (Czerkas, Olson)
> 7. DINOSAURS REDISCOVERED (Lessem)
> 8. THE ULTIMATE DINOSAUR (Silverburg, Priess) (lots of illos)
> 9. MAIA: A DINOSAUR GROWS UP (Horner)
> 10. AN ODYSSEY IN TIME : THE DINOSAURS OF NORTH AMERICA (Russell)
> 11. A VANISHING WORLD : THE DINOSAURS OF WESTERN CANADA (Russell)
> 12.  DINOSAURS, SPITFIRES, AND SEA DRAGONS (McGovern)
> 13.  LIVING WITH DINOSAURS (Henderson/Lauber)
>
> The list could go on.  Any suggestions on what is best to get would be
> excellumundo.
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> Raptor RKC (Rachel Clark)

        I strongly recommend Greg Paul's "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World".
Hopefully Dr Paul will produce some sister books, as I would love to see
more restorations of sauropods.
One other book of similar worth is Peter Wellnhofer's (sp?) "The
Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Pterosaurs." I'll check tonight when I get
home for some more.