"Birds Again"--R.J.Meyers

Okay, forgive my ignorance on Archaeopterix specifics, but are these fossils
widely distributed or are they fairly geographically localized.  I can
imagine organisms developing flight being subjected to selective pressures of
terrain, climate, topography and whatnot.  Any speculations of habitat?
(e.g., forest vs. plain vs. hills).  Seems to me flight-related behaviors
such as mechanics of take off (missile vs. airliner) would have to take into
account environment.  Of course I'm not a paleontologist, just a self-
proclaimed (although timidly) evolutionary behaviorist.