Re: clavacled theropods

In a message dated 95-10-17 22:08:44 EDT, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
Martz) writes:

>     Could someone give me the rundown on which theropods have clavicles
>(maniraptorians maybe?) and which don't?
>
>LN Jeff

Theropods don't have clavicles as such, but some have furculae, which are
thought to be the left and right clavicles fused into a unit. Furculae are
definitely known in _Longisquama_, _Archaeopteryx_, _Oviraptor_, an unnamed
theropod from the Morrison, and _Allosaurus_ (as yet unpublished reference).
Thulborn also has identified furculae in tyrannosaurids. There may be other
theropods with furculae, but that's a start, at least. Cladists would include
all extant birds in the set of furculiferous theropods, of course.

G.O.