Re: Evolutionary theory and more

In message <9510132100.AA10687@nairobi.eng.sun.com>  writes:
> GSPaul writes:
>
> >My volumetric model and scaling to the largest bones gives an approximate
> >mass of 70 kg to the largest Troodon. It was a small theropod only by
> >dinosaurian standards.
>
> What density models do you use in your mass estimates?
> If Bakker is right that some dinos had large air sacs,
> then they could be significantly lighter than a constant
> density model would imply.

Not really, Ducks and Geese have air sacs and they will sink if the oil is
washed off the feathers.  Most animals are pretty close to the density of water,
air spaces included.  If the volume of an animal is calculated as if it were
water, you will probably not be off by more than a percent.

Rich Hengst                       |
Biol. Sci. @ PUNC                 |
1401 South IN 421                 |
Westville, IN  46391              |