species determ.

     The main problem with determining species and genera in fossils has
to do with the fact since we can't observe living populations,
determining who can and will interbreed with who is impossible.
Additionally, without the benefit of soft anatomy, coloration and behavior,
detrmining how closely related two seperate genera are is even more
difficult.  Biologists and zoologists generally concentrate on these
details, rather than on osteology, when classifying species.  Hence,
relatively little correlation between osteological differences in different
genra and species of animals, which might be very useful in determining
species and genera in extinct animals, has been made.
     The little investigation that has been done into osteological
differences involved in individual variation and sexual dimorphism, which
can cause considerable osteologigal variation within a single species
(I read somewhere that a female lion has physically more in common with a
female tiger than a male lion) has resulted in considerable combining of
extinct genera and species in paleontology in recent years.  Examining
individual variation in modern african ?antelope? led John Ostrom to combine
the dozen or so Triceratops species under a single species, T.horriblus.  Also
consider the exploration of sexual dimorphism in theropods,
including the Coelophysis bauri specimens at Ghost Ranch and Ken
Carpenter's paper on sexual dimorphism in T.rex (I believe all these
papers can be found in Dinosaur Systematics: approaches and
persepctives).
     However, studying the osteological differences in modern species
might have limited value in certain cases.  For example there is a genus of
north amercan bird (don't ask me what type or the genus name) in which all
the species are essentially identical physically (and presumably
osteologically).  They are seperated into species based exclusivly on
thier mating songs.  Since females are
attracted only to a specific song produced by a male in thier own
species, this effectively keeps the species reproductivly isolated.  Ken
Carpenter showed me a chart of a bunch of essentially identical skulls
belonging to different species of a single lizard genus.
Again, these species were seperated by biologists based primarily on
coloration.  Paleontology benefits greatly from any study of osteology of
modern animals that looks for clues that might help determine species in
extinct ones.

LN Jeff