Re: Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology

In a message dated 95-10-14 21:37:51 EDT, RaptorRKC@aol.com writes:

>I am wondering if there was any way I could get the JVP.  It must be one of
>the best serial publications on the subject, yes?  Are there any other
>serials RE: dinosaurs that are highly recommended, and used by professionals
>as vital sources, please inform me about them.

There is no scientific journal being published today that is devoted
exclusively or almost exclusively to dinosaurs. JVP comes very close,
featuring papers limited to vertebrate paleontology. So you will find lots of
paleo-fish, paleo-mammal, and paleo-non-dino papers there. It is a thoroughly
professional publication. Subscriptions are $85 per year (four issues) from
the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, 401 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago,
Illinois 60611-4267. (The sub price is automatically included in the regular
membership dues for SVP members.)

Other paleo journals, less restricted in their topics than JVP, are
PALEONTOLOGY, JOURNAL OF PALEONTOLOGY, EVOLUTION, and so forth. There's even
a journal called (shudder) CLADISTICS. NATURE generally has a few issues each
year with dinosaur or vert paleo papers (for example, the description of
_Giganotosaurus_ is in the Sept 21 95 issue, if I remember correctly). So
does SCIENCE (_Afrovenator_ is described in the Oct 24 94 issue, if I
remember correctly). The best places to find back issues of these is in your
local natural history museum or science museum library. For more obscure
publications, try to locate and scan the monthly Geological Society
bibliographies, which cover all of geology and include paleo as a small
subset.

>Also, does anyone suggest that I subscribe to THE DINOSAUR REPORT, published
>by the Dinosaur Society?  Is this a good newsletter for dino buffs, that is
>informative and accurate?

You bet. Become a member of the Dinosaur Society at once. And THE DINOSAUR
REPORT is nowhere near as technical as the journals.

G.O.