Re: Crocodile program on Discovery channel

At 9:13 AM 10/12/95, th81 wrote:
>>The crocodile program was very good, except for the title:
>>
>>       Crocodiles: Heirs to the Dinosaurs

        Well, I didn't catch the program (off studenting, and all  ;-)  )
but in a roundabout way, the title works.  Yes, crocs were around before
the dinos (although the eusuchians didn't pop up 'til what, the
Cretaceous), but in the sense of "what animal filled most of the global
niches of big terrestrial reptile after the dinosaurs?," crocs fit the bill
nicely.  (coupled, methinks, with big birds!)

Jerry D. Harris                       (214) 768-2750
Shuler Museum of Paleontology         FAX:  (214) 768-2701
Southern Methodist University         jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
Box 750395                            (Compuserve:  73132,3372)
Dallas  TX  75275-0395

"The largest land animal of all time was _Megabrontotherium_.  Standing
12,000 feet high at the withers, its shadow alone weighed 500 pounds."

                                --  T. Weller, _Science Made Stupid_