Parasaurolophus

Rachel Clark recently raised the subject of Parasaurolophus, I have no
information to give on this genus but I do have query that has long
bugged me. On a much illustrated mounted skeleton of P. walkeri (type
specimen?) one of the neural spines is angled backwards creating a notch
at about the right place to recieve the nasal crest when the head is
directed upwards. It has been speculated in some popular books that this
notch received the crest in order to brace it as it was used as a foliage
deflector as the animal crashed through dense vegetation. This is very
hard to imagine particularly because when the head is positioned so that
the crest is "locked" in the notch then the throat is exposed and likely
to thump into low branches rather than the so called deflecting surface
of the crest. My question is, is the orientation of this spine
pathological? have any other parasaurolophus skeletons been found? If
so do they have this notch?.

Adam Yates