Re: Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus

     I appear to be in the minority of people of like the scientific
names of animals as much or more than nicknames, and who is not terribly
concerned which the "appropriatness" of the translation.  I've heared
Apatosaurus maligned because "Thunder lizard" is more appropriate for the
animal than "deceptive lizard".  I also recall someone hoping that
Deinonychus would would not be shown to be cogeneric with Velociraptor
because "terrible claw" is more appropriate than "swift thief".  I fail to
understand what the big deal is.  Whn people discuss these animals they
don't use the translation, they use the scientific names.  Whether you
call it Apatosaurus or Brontosaurus, you are talking about the same
sauropod dinosaur, so I don't think the translation is horribly
relevant.  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" as Bill
Shakespeare would say.
       I think that genus and species names tend to have an aesthetic appeal
that does not need to be detracted from by using nicknames or fretting over
literal translation.  I particular, "Velociraptor" is a wonderfully
elegant sounding name (for that matter, so is Deinoinychus.  Another one
I always liked was Hyracotherium, even if "dawn horse" is way more
accurate).

LN Jeff