Re: Dinosaur fiction is more real than fact

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Terry Colvin wrote:

> Jurassic Park , the film was also a rare example of a film being more
> correct than the book , e.g. , Stegosaurii in the book , have cheek
> pouches (like a squirrel), when all of the specimens that have been
> found TO DATE do not , again , this does not mean that they didn`t
> haver them , but on the balance of evidence , the film wins , with no
> cheek pouches in sight .

I thought the Stegosaurus specimen discovered by Carpenter and Small--the
same one that "proved" the arrangement of plates and thagomizers--also
showed evidence of (to quote a Dinosaur Society newsletter) "an armor
basket or shield of small bony knobs protecting its throat." Maybe
Crichton misinterpreted the "armor basket" as cheek pouches?

----- Amado Narvaez
      anarvaez@umd5.umd.edu