Re: Dino Notes

>I'm really enjoying this list and the interesting people here.
>Thank you for having me, and thanks to Dino Society for publishing
>the address.
>===================
>WHAT'S LEFT IN CARNOSAURIA?
>Various reference books list the following as part of Carnosauria.
>ITEMIRIDAE
>DRYPTOSAURIDAE
>AUBLYSODONTIDAE
>SPINOSAURIDAE
>BARYONYCHIDAE
>ARCHAEORNITHOIDIDAE
>Assuming that they are no longer there, where are they?
>Lo, how the mighty carnosaurs have fallen....

Itemirus may be a primitive ancestor to the tyrannosaurids.  Aublysodontids
are the primitive tyrannosaurids.  Dryptosaurus is a basal coelurosaur.
Baryonychidae is a junior synonym of Spinosauridae, and spinosaurids are
probably megalosauroids (primitive tetanurines).  Archaeornithoides is
almost certainly a maniraptoran.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology