Re: dinosaur sexes

On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Cunningham, Betty wrote:

>      ok
>      if we're discussing sexes of dinosaurs...what do you call a boy
>      dinosaur and what do you call a girl dinosaur?   Does it change with
>      major nodes?  Is it always the same?
>
>      a cock and hen? -closest to bird types?
>      a bull and cow?
>      a male and female?
>      a tom and queen?
>      a stallion and mare?
>      a boy and girl?
>      a dinosaur and dinosauresse?
>

>      What?  What?
>

>      -Betty Cunningham

        Another question is what to call groups. Herd is a pretty good
general term, as is pack, but why don't palaeontologists create a set of
terms. I tend to call ceratopians and sauropods bulls, cows and calves;
t rex could use a good name like this. I have thought about a name for
stegosaurs : males could be called rucks... Perhaps the best term I've
thought of though is the term for the movement of large quadrapedal
dinosaurs at high speed : galumphing. Anyone else have any ideas?