Re: DINO NOTES

In a message dated 95-10-08 15:41:22 EDT, steve.cole@genie.geis.com writes:

>SINRAPTORIDAE: Dr Holtz... You noted (back on 12 Sept) that the only
>families left in Carnosauria (at least, under your view) were Allosauridae
>(ok, I know what an Allosaurus is) and Sinraptoridae. That second one I
>can't find anywhere in Dinosaur (Society) Encyclopedia. Discovering
>Dinosaurs (AMNH) mentions "Sinornis" but that seems to be a bird. Ultimate
>Dinosaur Book mentions a Sinosaurus that is early Jurassic; is that the
>one? What happened to all of the other families that the reference books
>ascribe to Carnosauria? Are things changing so fast that a book published
>in 1993 is now totally out of date? Sheesh.... I'll never get a tree done.
>What are you Paleontologists DOING, writing this on a blackboard? <smile>

Sinraptoridae was coined by Currie & Dong in the astounding October/November
1993 issue (actually published in 1994) of the _Canadian Journal of Earth
Sciences_--which should be on every dino-lover's bookshelf because it is
entirely devoted to findings of the Canada-China Dinosaur Project.
Sinraptorids were large theropods that looked much like _Allosaurus_ but were
more primitive in having a smaller pubic boot and a broader, less abruptly
proximally expanded scapula (not to mention a whole suite of the usual minor
skull differences), as well as broad, bladelike neural spines on the caudal
dorsal vertebrae. This family and Allosauridae are presently all that remain
in the subgroup Carnosauria of Theropoda, now that Tyrannosauridae has been
(correctly, in my opinion as well as that of scores of the more orthodox
theropod experts) transferred to Maniraptora.