Re: Dinosaur "baculae" (fwd)

     Here is one of the previous postings on dinosaur intromittant organs.

>     Are croc dongers and duck dicks true penises or hemipenes?  What would
>a hypothetical dino dinkie be?  What exactly is the difference between a
>penis and a hemipene?

Actually I believe they are neither.  The general term for all such
structures is "intromittent organ".  A true (ie mammalian) penis is
independent of the digestive tract.  Hemipenes are (as the name implies)
paired structures on either side of the cloacal opening in lizards (all?
some?) that assist in guiding sperm into the female's cloaca.  The
intromittent organ of ratites is, I believe, a single structure consisting
of an extension of the cloaca (as is the intromittent organ of the so-called
"Tailed" frog Ascaphus truei of western North America).
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5