Re: number of species of dinos

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Stan Friesen wrote:

> From: bk090@freenet.carleton.ca (David Brez Carlisle)
>  >  If (as
>  > I suggested) the real number is more like 100 species at any
>  > one time, then the total number of speciess should be about
>  > 3,700.
>  >
>  > How many species were there in toto?  Anybody?
>  >

> Known or actual?
>
> My dino list used to have about 400 *genera* in it.  Most of these
> are nomina dubia, which leaves about 100-150 valid genera. At an
> average of about 1.5 species per genus (generous), this gives about
> 150-200 described species.
>
> How many were there actually? Well, Dodson's paper gives estimates
> ranging over an order of magnitude on that.  I.e., we don't really
> know, the best we can do is guess.
>
> I would be surprised if there were fewer than 1500 species.

With a reign of 160 or more million years I believe that there was well
over 16,000 species of course we will never find them all....

Now of course if you add to that (Aves) the number of species probably
exceeds 32,000 species.

That my opinion...for what its worth

--John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)