Re: Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus

>Can anyone tell me what argument, if any, Bakker uses on behalf of his=
 position that Brontosaurus is actually the correct name?

Essentially, his reasoning is that both animals were named by the same man. =
 I'm not completely sure, but I think that the type specimens for both=
 animals are relatively incomplete (if this is so, then presumably the=
 naming could go either way).  He also figures that since the general public=
 is more familiar with Brontosaurus, that it should have priority (not=
 exactly scientific).

OTOH, if the Apatasaurus type was named first, the rules of nomenclature=
 would require its use over Brontosaurus.  Personally, I prefer Bronto. =
 Besides, hearing Fred Flintstone order an Apata-burger just doesn't sound=
 quite as appetizing :-)

Rob

***
The pun is the lowest form of humor