Palo Alto Amber

Betty Cunningham writes:
Subject: Amber festival in Palo Alto, Cal

     "History enthusiasts and fossil collectors won't want to miss the
     Amber Festival, 10 am-6 pm Friday and Saturday and 11 am-3 pm Sunday
     at the Nature Gallery, 87 Town and Country Village, Palo Alto
     (California, USA).  The gallery's exquisite collection of hand-crafted
     jewelry, museum-quality carvings, and specimens of Baltic amber is
     expanded for this event.  Several scientific experts and collectors of
     amber will be on hand to discuss the mystique and practical potential
     of this fossilized tree sap.   Call (415)327-8700"

     From today's San Jose Mercury News' Penninsula section

     the shop is small, but has very nice fish fossils, and the occasional
     nice trilobite (the fancy Moroccan ones).  Their amber is mostly
     jewelry or carved, but they do have some nice inclusions as specimen
     pieces.  They should bring out more than I've seen for the festival.

     -Betty

Betty and all- I went to the last one of these shows they had in May, and I
felt very bad about the way they came across to the general public.  There
were large and potentially scientifically valuable specimens on display and
for sale, and I listened to the 'professional paleontologists' that were
prepping mammal skulls for sale blather on about the Federal Gov't depriving
them of their livleyhood by stealing Sue.  They were selling a complete
Camarasaur humerus, various eggs from Mongolia, and reputed T.rex and
Triceratops bits, including alleged skull frags.  I got the distinct
impression that they thought perfectly within their rights, as the 'rich
museums' got all the really good stuff,  and all the other pro-seller
arguments, without much mention of any other views as being valid.  I felt
this to be a bit misinformative, because there was a fair crowd present, and
many of those people were obviously accepting what they heard as the one and
only gospel truth.  I didn't attempt to argue with them on their corner, but
the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth.
   There will be interesting stuff there, but I think that by attending, even
without buying, we are condoning the activities of the commercial collectors.

NOTE: These views are mine and mine alone and are not meant to offend anyone.

    Back to just lurking- Bruce Mortensen