Re: Dino News Bits

In a message dated 95-10-05 15:54:42 EDT, swf@ElSegundoCA.ATTGIS.COM (Stan
Friesen) writes:

>If there is no description, then the name is a nomen nudum, and
>the rest of us get to ignore it, as if it didn't exist.
>[My dino list will NOT be including nomina nuda].

I love nomina nuda. But even I have my limits: I don't list stuff such as
dinosaur names made up for works of fiction, or cutesy dino names like
"Pipecleanerosaurus" from kiddie books and magazines. For a nomen nudum to
make my list, it has to be connected to some kind of skeletal remains, but
even so it doesn't get counted in the census until it becomes official.
Sometimes people simply want to know, for example, "Whatever happened to
'Jurassosaurus'?" It can be found in my list, if you know roughly where to
look.

G.O.