Re: number of species of dinos

>From: bk090@freenet.carleton.ca (David Brez Carlisle)
 >  If (as
 > I suggested) the real number is more like 100 species at any
 > one time, then the total number of speciess should be about
 > 3,700.
 >
 > How many species were there in toto?  Anybody?

Known or actual?

My dino list used to have about 400 *genera* in it.  Most of these
are nomina dubia, which leaves about 100-150 valid genera. At an
average of about 1.5 species per genus (generous), this gives about
150-200 described species.

How many were there actually? Well, Dodson's paper gives estimates
ranging over an order of magnitude on that.  I.e., we don't really
know, the best we can do is guess.

I would be surprised if there were fewer than 1500 species.

The peace of God be with you.