Re: Cretaceous vegetation (was Trexie and whales..)

>From: "Mike Styzen  Shelf Expl, 588-4308" <mstyzen@shell.com>
 > To get around this problem you need to find some basinal palyonological
 > studies.  There should be plenty of upland pollen and spores coming
 > down rivers and deposited by wind to give a gross idea of upland
 > plant assemblages were like.

There are actually quite a few of these.

Unfortunately, a large proportion of the pollen taxa are sufficiently
different from any living species as to be unassignable to taxa below
order.  Since most order contain a wide ranfge of life forms, this
leaves the actual structure of the upland vegetation unclear.  In
fact it is not even possible to determine which pollen morphs belong
to the known lowland leaf fossils, so we do not even know which ones
are upland and which lowland.

The only evidence I know of for upland vegetation is a short article
a few years ago about a series of upland sites preserved in a volcanic
tuff. (Wing, Hickey, & Swisher, 1993, Nature, v. 363, pg 342).

This suggests a dry shrubland, at least of the time and place in
that article.

I have been hoping to see an article by Hickey describing the species
found in the series, but I have not seen one.

The peace of God be with you.