Re: DINOTREE

In a message dated 95-10-05 12:08:29 EDT, jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu (Jerry
D. Harris) writes:

>        Having read Sues' abstract in last year's SVP Abstract Volume, as
>well as hearing his talk, I was under the impression that _Caenagnathus_,
>_Macrophalangia_, and the Elmisauridae were all now synonymous with
>_Chirostenotes_, which, in turn, was a North American oviraptorosaur, based
>on the new skull and material.  Did I miss something?

Synonymy of _Chirostenotes_ and _Macrophalangia_ was established by Currie &
Russell, based on a new specimen discovered and excavated by Gilles Danis
(with a very small amount of assistance by awkward me--mainly clearing rock
away from the jackhammer) in 1979. I'm under the impression that skull
material matching the type _Caenagnathus_ jaw has not yet been found in
positive association with _Chirostenotes_ postcrania (correct me if I'm
wrong). Rather, _Caenagnathus_ is synonymized with _Chirostenotes_ because
the latter is an elmisaurid, elmisaurids are close to oviraptorids, and
_Caenagnathus_ is probably oviraptorid.

G.O.