Re: DINOTREE

>DINOSAURIA
>>...>...STAURIKOSAURIDAE: possible ultimte ancestor????? 231-225mya

Novas has shown that Staurikosaurus is a herrerasaurid

Also, Eoraptor appears to be more primitive than the Herrerasauridae, and is
the best current model for the common ancestor of all dinosaurs (BCFers will
disagree).

>THEROPODA: Bipedal, three-toed bird-feet
>>...EARLY THEROPODS
>>...>...Unknown families including Eoraptor
>>...>...HERRERASAURIDAE
>>...CERATOSAURIA: The early carnivores

Actually, Ceratosaurians make it to the end of the Cretaceous, so they are
not only early.

>>...>...ABELISAURIA
>>...>...COELOPHYSIDAE
>>...>...HALTICOSAURIDAE

"Halticosauridae" is paraphyletic, with some 'halticosaurids' (e.g.,
Lilliensternus) closer to Coelophysidae than others (e.g., Dilophosaurus,
Elaphrosaurus).

>>...>...MEGALOSAURIDAE
>>...>...EUSTREPTOSPONDYLIDAE

Megalosaurids and eustreptospondylids are clearly tetanurines, as shown by
me (in 1994 and at this years SVP) and Sereno et al. 1994.

>>...>...PODOKESAURIDAE

Since the type of Podokesaurus is destroyed, and the casts and drawings less
than they could have been, it us uncertain if this beastie was a
coelophysid, Coelophysis itself, a primitive tetanturine, or almost any
other small theropod.

>>...TETANURAE-CARNOSAURIA: the large carnivores
>>...>...ALLOSAURIDAE

Together with Sinraptoridae, these two families form the superfamily
Allosauroidea, and are the crown group of Carnosauria.

>>...>...ITEMIRIDAE
>>...>...DRYPTOSAURIDAE
>>...>...TYRANNOSAURIDAE
>>...>...AUBLYSODONTIDAE

:-(

Okay, all of the above are Coelurosaurs (see papers ref. above, plus Denton
et al.'s various abstracts in SVP with regards to Dryptosaurus).

>>...>...SPINOSAURIDAE
>>...>...BARYONYCHIDAE

The above are almost certainly synonyms.  In any case, they are more closely
related to each other than to any other known theropods.

>>...>...ARCHAEORNITHOIDIDAE
>>...TETANURAE-COELUROSAURIA: Smaller Carnivores
>>...>...ORNITHOMIMIDAE: The Ostrich dinosaurs
>>...>...HARPYMIMIDAE
>>...>.MANIRAPTORA: The raptors
>>...>...OVIRAPTOROSAURIA
>>...>...>...OVIRAPTORIDAE
>>...>...>...CAENAGNATHIDAE
>>...>...>...ELMISAURIDAE

If Hans-Dieter Sues is correct (and I think he is), Elmisauridae is a junior
synonym of Caenagnathidae.

>>...>...THERIZINOSAURIDAE
>>...>...TROODONTIDAE

See Holtz 1994 and papers ref.ed within for evidence of the monophyly of
Bullatosauria (=Ornithomimosauria+Troodontidae).

>>...>...DROMAEOSAURIDAE
>>...>...AVILAE: The birdlike dinosaurs

Avialae IS the clade of birds, not birdlike dinosaurs, by definition.  It is
not a name for the primitive birds, but is the most inclusive bird taxon.
Chiappe et al. have plans to sink this name in favor of the much better
known Aves.

>>...STEGOSAURIA: armor spikes and vertical plates along spine
>>...>...STEGOSAURIDAE: 170-135mya

As Olshevsky has shown, Stegosauria should probably be divided into several
families.  (See, I don't disagree with everything Dinogeorge says... :-) )

>>...ANKLYOSAURIA: Armor across entire top, secondary palate
>>...>...NODOSAURIDAE: no tailclub; 135-73mya
>>...>...ANKYLOSAURIDAE: Tail Club, 97-75mya

Polacanthidae is a third family of ankylosaurs.  Also, both nodosaurids and
ankylosaurids are known in the Middle Jurassic, so their ranges are much
greater than shown.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology