DINOTREE

I put this together from the standard references and assorted other
Dinosaur books I have. Some elements are obviously VERY controversial.
Remember, I'm a military intel analyst, not a vertibrate paleontologist
(I can't even SPELL paleontologist!) and did this as sort of a
mental vacation, applying my intelligence analysis (i.e., puzzle
solving) skills to the available information. This is the SHORT FORM
of the 'tree' I've been building; the long form goes down to
genera and is 14 pages long. Those of you who are REAL scientists
will find this either laughably amateurish or pleasantly boring,
but the amateurs here may find it a helpful shorthand reference.
I've never really seen a list like this anywhere, the closest
things being the graphic charts in Ultimate Dinosaur Book.
Anyway, here it is. If you hate it, just delete it from your file.
If it's useful, then use it (with a strong warning that it's not
perfect and some elements are highly debatable). If you have
suggested improvements or changes, let me know. I'll finish the
long version in another month and confer with the Sysop on what
is the best thing to do with it. I know that just putting this together
made some things 'jell' in my own mind.
DINOSAURIA
>...>...STAURIKOSAURIDAE: possible ultimte ancestor????? 231-225mya
(This thing could also be a primative Saurischian or Theropod)
====================================
SAURISCHIA: Lizzard-hipped dinosaurs
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SAROPODOMORPH: The "elephant/snake" dinos.
>...PROSAUROPODA: Primative Sauropods
>...>...THECODONTOSAURIDAE: bipedal ancestor of sauropods
>...>...ANCHISAURIDAE
>...>...MASSOSPONDYLIDAE
>...>...YUNNANOSAURIDAE
>...>...PLATEOSAURIDAE
>...>...MELANOROSAURIDAE
>...>...BLIKANASAURIDAE
>...SAUROPODA: The true sauropods
>...>...Early True Sauropods
>...>...>...Vulcanodontidae
>...>...>...Barapasauridae
>...>...CETIOSAURIDAE
>...>...BRACHIOSAURIDAE: Longer front legs
>...>...TITANOSAURIDAE: small, some had armor
>...>...CAMARASAURIDAE
>...>...EUHELOPODIDAE
>...>...DIPLODOCIDAE
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THEROPODA: Bipedal, three-toed bird-feet
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>...SEGNOSAURIA (possible third branch of Saurischia?)
>...>...SEGNOSAURIDAE: Late Cretaceous 97-88mya
====================================
ORNITHISCHIA: Bird-hipped, lower jaw has beak
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THYREOPHORA: Armored Dinosaurs. (May not be true group.)
>...Uncertain Group
>...>...SCELIDOSAURIDAE: 208-188mya
>...STEGOSAURIA: armor spikes and vertical plates along spine
>...>...STEGOSAURIDAE: 170-135mya
>...ANKLYOSAURIA: Armor across entire top, secondary palate
>...>...NODOSAURIDAE: no tailclub; 135-73mya
>...>...ANKYLOSAURIDAE: Tail Club, 97-75mya
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CERAPODA-ORNITHOPODA: Jaw articulation below tooth row.
>...Primative Ornithopods
>...>...FABROSAURIDAE: 208-200mya
>...>...HETERODONTOSAURIDAE: Molars with canine teeth, 208-200mya
>...>...HYPSILOPHODONTIDAE: 156-110mya
>...IGUANODONTIA: bi/quadropedal herbivores
>...>...DRYOSAURIDAE: 145-98mya
>...>...CAMPTOSAURIDAE: 156-145mya
>...>...IGUANODONTIDAE: 135-90mya
>...>...HADROSAURIDAE: 98-65mya
>...>...>...EARLY HADROSAURS (missing links to Iguanodon?)
>...>...>...HADROSAURINAE: The flat-headed duckbills
>...>...>...LAMBEOSAURINAE: The crested duckbills
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CERAPODA-MARGINOCEPHALIA: wierd skull dinoaurs
>...>...Stenopelix: 144-138mya, 1.5m, Germany; bipedal, Margino ancestor?
>...PACHYCEPHALOSAURIA: The bone-dome dinosaurs
>...>...PACHYCEPHALOSAURIDAE: 85-70mya
>...CERATOPSIA: Rostral bone supporting beak
>...>.NEOCERATOPSIA: the primative ceratopsians
>...>...PROTOCERATOPSIDAE
>...>.CERATOPSIDAE: The horned dinosaurs
>...>...CENTROSAURINAE: Short-frilled horned dinosaurs (holes)
>...>...CHASMOSAURINAE: Broad-frilled horned dinosaurs (no holes)
I'll get the dates into the Saurischians in a future edition.
I just wanted to contribute something to the knowledgebase to make
up for all the good stuff I've gotten out of it. Be well.--Steve C