Re: Poling and the FPA

>>And further, why does it seem that there is such a
>> strong vertebrate bias in the complaints, as anyone knows, the invert fauna
>> provide a wealth of information that a Maiasaur could never.  And then there
>> are the fossil plants.  There is such a strong interest in Animalia that no
>> one ever cries "foul" when it comes to plant fossils.
>> >
>> >Having spent three days with a curator of paleobotany in the field studying
>> Eocene plants, I can safely say that floral taphonomy tells a lot bigger
>> story than most vertebrate fossils alone.
>
>      Not about vertebrates they don't.  The total bulk of information
>might be bigger, but that makes the little bit of vertebrate material we
>do have just that much more precious.
>
>LN Jeff

In order to understand paleovertebrates, one certainly needs to see some
vertebrate fossils.  That is tautological.  However, I maintain that "lower"
members of the animal kingdom and the plant kingdom in general reveal much
more information about paleoecosystems than all of the vert remains
combined.  My point is that the hue and cry about commercial and amateur
collecting is centered almost exclusively on the subject of vertebrate fossils.

As an amateur, I hope to make some significant contribution to the field of
paleontology.  I have found and identified, through the Burke Museum, a
/Florrisantia/ flower in the Chuckanut Formation, Skagit County, WA that is
the first recorded instance of this genus in the lowland fluvial and
lacustrine deposits represented by the Chuckanut.  It helps confirm the
current assignment of Eocene age of the formation, in contradiction to the
Late Cretaceous/Paleocene age assigned by M. Pabst and others.  If or when
this specimen is determined to be "scientifically significant" I will gladly
offer it up to an appropriate institution's collection.

NON-SEQUITOR FOLLOWS:

How often is the discoverer of a new taxon credited by the describer, even
as a footnote in the reference?  Not often enough, IMHO.

Regards-
Michael

Michael "We're not in Kansas anymore" Sternberg