Number of dinosaurs

I am currently working my way through Dave Carlisles' _Dinosaurs, Diamonds
and dust from outerspace_ and up crops a claim that I have seen before but
I question its validity. The cliam in question is that, at any one time,
there were as few as 25 dinosaur species and no more than one hundred. Dave
aludes to research that has been done to this effect but I have not seen
the original publications.

This seems to be an increadibly low estimate of dino-diversity which,
gut-feeling tells me, should be around 1,000 species at any one time. Can
any one comment on this and/or indicate who made the original claims and on
what basis?

Cheers, Paul

pwillis@ozemail.com.au