Re: Trexie and whales..?!

> ... all ecosystems have a top predator ... If T. rex was not the top
> predator, then who was?  To my knowledge, there is no information of the
> possible existence of another large theropod ...

  Um, careful, in many present ecosystems the top predator is quite small
compared to the top herbivore. ( E.g., lion/African elephant, tiger/Indian
elephant.)  If one were to model a late Cretaceous North American ecosystem
on the present-day Serengeti, then the top predator might well be a
lion-sized theropod that took gnu-sized adult herbivores and an occasional
calf of something larger, while the _T._rex_es sat around eating road kill
and playing tiddley-winks with _Triceratops_ in their spare time.

                                        --  Jay Freeman