Re: A few more...

In a message dated 95-10-03 08:49:59 EDT, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>And an autapomorphy of Sauropoda could be a reversal toward a longer
>metatarsal condition.  And that was exactly my point at the beginning of all
>this.

_Longer_ metatarsal, of course. But regaining a _lost_ metatarsal and having
it rearticulate with the tarsus in line with all the other metatarsals, or
regaining lost pedal phalanges and having them rearticulate with the correct
metatarsal? Remotely possible, I suppose, but very unlikely. Other
explanations and phylogenies should be examined before accepting such a
circumstance.