Re: Re: A few more...

>In a message dated 95-10-02 13:55:09 EDT, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
>writes:
>
>>You would argue that the hoatzin independantly evolved fingers from all
>>other tetrapods?  That's taking BCF a little too far...
>
>I would argue that it never lost the fingers.

I think that ornithologists and molecular biologists can strongly argue
against such a position (presumably you mean the hoatzin diverged before the
hesperornithoform-ichthyornithoform-neornithine clade evolved).  Or,
alternatively, that the fingers were lost several times in the evolution of
ornithurine birds.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology