Re: ICZN

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 95-09-28 15:03:22 EDT, Stang1996@aol.com writes:
>
> >_Paravertibra_, I would guess _Minmi_ is feminine.
>
> It's _paravertebra_, and its gender doesn't bear on the gender of the generic
> name, because it is a noun in apposition to the generic name. As in _Edmarka
> rex_: _Edmarka_ is feminine, but _rex_ is masculine. So you can't infer the
> gender of the generic name from the specific epithet in this instance--just
> when the specific epithet is adjectival. As far as I know, a gender for
> _Minmi_ hasn't yet been specified.

Hi, this my first posting here! I'm a first year geology student at
Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia. I'm an amateur
palaeontologist, but I'm hoping to make it my profession. Anyhow, with
regards to your above letter, I'm assuming that you are questioning the
gender type of the name _Minmi_, as rex is male, regina is female,etc?
Well, _Minmi_ is neither. Minmi Crossing is a town in central Queensland
where _Minmi_ was found. The same is for _Muttaburrasaurus langdoni_,
named after the Queensland town of Muttaburra.
                                                Marcus Good.