Re: Re: A few more...

>>present and used after hatching.  This is a reversal, and it did happen.  It
>>also suggests mechanisms whereby the metatarsals of therizinosauroids and
>>sauropods might, in their own ways, revert to an ancestral (in the former
>>case) or unique (in the latter) state.
>
>Well, then, perhaps the arctometatarsalian condition reversed in
>_Compsognathus_ or in other small theropods.

Sure.  Phil Currie thinks it reversed in the origin of birds (which he
considers derived bullatosaurs, by the way).  I don't find such a position
in the most parsimonious distribution of derived character states in my
current analysis, but it is certainly a reasonable hypothesis.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland