Re: Re: Transitional Fossils

>>        Every organism, therefore, is a transitional organism:
>>transitional between what immediately preceded it and what comes
>>immediately after.
>
>In cladistic methodology, NO fossils represent "transitional" organisms.
>Every specimen of every species, theoretically, is located at a leaf node,
>not a branch node, of a cladogram, and the transitional forms are relegated
>to the realm of hypothesis. How odd, therefore, that you still believe not
>only that transitional forms existed, but that ALL fossils represent
>transitional forms. (Unless you already know, somewhere deep down, that
>cladistic methodology is fundamentally flawed.)

Now you are just being silly.

As dinosaur-l's rampaging cladist, I would say that Archeopteryx is a great
example of a transitional fossil, as is Hyracotherium & Hyrachus, or the
primitive cetaceans of Pakistan.  All represent forms intermediate in
development between primitive sister taxa and derived "crowns".

Saying that cladists don't believe in transitional forms is just as foolish
as the BS that cladism precludes recognition of ancestors.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland