Re: Trexie and whales..?! (fwd)

>From: Colin Mchenry <s172579@student.uq.edu.au>
 >
 > And as for the keen sense of smell?  Well, my recollection of N. American
 > vegetation types during the end Cretinaceous is dim  ...
 > but wasn't there something  about all these big dense forests?

The preserved Late Maastrichtian vegetation is all floodplain, so
it is hard to say what the "upland" vegetation was.

In the Hell Creek area the predominate flodplain vegetation was
a warm-temperate, probably deciduous, forest, dominated by a tree
with leaves resembling a chestnut. In addition there were willows,
probably sycamores (Platanus, that is), trees resembling elms, and
so on.  Ferns appear to have been abundant. All in all, rather similar
to the mixed deciduous forest of the current Mississippi valley.

Swampy areas had a forest composed of redwoods. Also present were
a number of aquatic plants.

There may also have been areas covered by marsh plants, perhaps
cattails or their early relatives.

Further south the floodplain had a more subtropical character, with
various laurels, and other possibly evergreen trees.

The peace of God be with you.