Re: Transitional Fossils

>>        The explanation I generally use is that _every_ fossil represents a
>>transitional organism -- and that, therefore, the whole concept of a
>>transitional fossil is a fallacy.  Creationists perceive evolution as if it
>>works in a few short steps:  from, for example, dinosaur -> half-dinosaur,
>>half-bird -> bird.  This, of course, isn't true.  There are far more steps
>>in between (and, as almost any paleontologists will tell you, the harder
>>you look for the transitional event, the blurrier it will become!  ;-)  ).

Then there is the question of why debate evolution at all?  Simply state that
to debate evolution is the same as debating whether the earth is round:-)

Beyond this, to debate a theological belief is always going to be a lose-lose
situation.  These beliefs come from the heart, and in a contest between the
brain and the heart, the heart will always win.

There is a larger concern in that these debates tend to have a polarizing
effect, and this problem that people, like me, who are both paleontologist and
active Christians have to deal with.  I don't suppose its possible, but I would
really like to see the day when these questions can be finally buried, and
creationists put in the same realm as the Flat Earth Society by the general
public.

End of sermon.

Rob
***