Field Museum redux

I live in Chicago.

What amazes me about creationists in the DNA to Dinos exhibit is that it
is expensive!  Even on "free days" there is a charge for the new exhibits
like the one on Bats, etc.  Why do they pay to get in just to damage it?

As far as the teaching of "creation science" or mentioning it in the
classroom before or after evolution...  My personal opinion (and I expect
to be flamed for it) is that --everything-- relating to evolution should
be taught.  The arguments for and the arguments against (no matter how
absurd) deserve a place in the dialog.  Censorship of ideas (no matter
how absurd they are) is --wrong--.

Let the students hear all sides.  If the bio teacher is a good one, the
arguments in favor vs. the arguments against should resolve themselves in
the students' minds leaving them more capable of rational thought,
logical discussion, and an interest in learning.

Controversy is an excellent teacher's aide.  It makes the subject matter
far more interesting than "here it is, this is fact, now - regurgitate!"

To open another can of worms, remember when suggesting warm-bloodedness,
speedy lifestyles, etc. with regard to dinosaurs was heresy?

I also think that we should be taught about the eugenics movement and how
that lead to some of the horrors of the third reich.  Just because
Americans may be ashamed of our involvement in eugenics (ex.  American
Museum of Natural History) does not mean that it is not a valid topic for
discussion.

Students deserve more than rote memorization, purple smelly ditto sheets,
boring dull classwork.  Asking them to --think-- won't hurt anything.

---
Ellin Beltz     -       uebeltz@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu