Re: High speed rocks and strange notes.

At 12:11 AM 9/1/95, skshow@Rt66.com wrote:
>More on the subject (I think), I also had a chance to visit the Field
>Museum of
>Natural History's "DNA to Dinosaurs Exhibit".  Well worth the price of
>admission, but I was concerned with some things I saw there.  At each major
>"station" there was a place to submit questions and these were posted on a
>board nearby.  The majority of the notes said something to the effect "This is
>all a lie, read the Bible for the truth!".  I am curious whether this is a
>common thing, or was I following a bus group of Creationists?

        I don't think it's that uncommon, sad to say -- people seem
increasingly wont to be told what to believe than to want to think for
themselves.  >>>SIGH<<<  Anyway, that isn't the 1st time I've heard of the
Field Museum's exhibit suffering such ignominy:  a friend outside Chicago
told me that a few weeks after it opened, some creationists somehow managed
to get into the Triassic diorama there and spray painted a number of
creationists/anti-evolutionist slogans around the display.  i've not been
able to verify that, though -- anyone else have some info?  And why does
the Field Museum not post more security?  Or have they?

Jerry D. Harris
Shuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
Box 750395
Dallas  TX  75275-0395
(214) 768-2750
FAX:  (214) 768-2701
jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
        (Compuserve:  73132,3372)

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and
quacks like a duck, then it is the sister taxon to,
but cannot parsimoniously be, the direct ancestor
to all other ducks."

                                --  _not_ W. Hennig