Re: Dinosaur Hunting techniques

In a message dated 95-08-31 10:47:43 EDT, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
wrote:

>Actually, although T. rex was gracile (for a big animal), my first choice
>for an analog is not the cheetah (that was forced upon me).

I hope I didn't do the forcing.  My point (which I may not have made too
clear) was NOT that tyrannosaurs were fast, cheetah-speed hunters.  Rather,
the point I was trying to make was that tyrannosaurs were probably closer to
cheetahs in their pursuit strategies, in that they may well have been capable
of outrunning their prey, as opposed to the lion-type hunter which can
out-accelerate its prey.  Lions reach their top speed long before most of
their prey-species do; as a result, a lion is more likely to catch its prey
early in the chase (indeed, it almost has to catch it early, otherwise the
prey's speed may reach the point where it can successfully pull away).

I hope this clears up things a bit.

Derek Smith