Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

At 12:02 AM 9/7/95, Ronald Orenstein wrote:
>>        Well, the oft-beleaguered response to the "elephants can be
>>tripodal, therefore sauropods and steogsaurs can" issue, and the one that
>>makes sense to me, is "Well, sure elephants _can_ be tripodal, but they've
>>never been observed in such a pose in the wild (to my knowledge)."
>... Trees in the African savannahs are taller than elephants, but
>>you don't see them rearing up to get their trunks into the higher parts of
>>the trees;
>>Sorry, but you sure do.  Elephants haven't got the tail for a "tripodal"
>position, but they certainly rear in the wild.  This is rare but it has been
>both observed and photographed.  I have just confirmed this point with Dr.
>Jeheskel Shoshani of the Elephant Research Foundation, who has just seen
>such photos.  Of course such behaviour is rare but not unknown.  Usually the
>animals use a tree for support (and they are doing it to reach higher
>browse); there is apparently one photo of a wild elephant rearing unsupported.

Ron -

        Jim Farlow has also written to correct me on this, so let the
record show that I was wrong on this one!  8-)  Ah, c'est les
pantouffles...

        Actually, it just now occurred to me:  don't male elephants have to
rear to copulate with the females?  I always wondered how sauropods
mated...but that darned tail still gets in the way!

Jerry D. Harris
Shuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
Box 750395
Dallas  TX  75275-0395
(214) 768-2750
FAX:  (214) 768-2701
jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu
        (Compuserve:  73132,3372)

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and
quacks like a duck, then it is the sister taxon to,
but cannot parsimoniously be, the direct ancestor
to all other ducks."

                                --  _not_ W. Hennig