Re: Re: Blood flow in Sauropods

>        Well, the oft-beleaguered response to the "elephants can be
>tripodal, therefore sauropods and steogsaurs can" issue, and the one that
>makes sense to me, is "Well, sure elephants _can_ be tripodal, but they've
>never been observed in such a pose in the wild (to my knowledge)."  So

and

>have been?!?  Trees in the African savannahs are taller than elephants, but
>you don't see them rearing up to get their trunks into the higher parts of
>the trees; I don't see sauropods rearing to get their trunks (essentially,

Actually, African elephants have been known to rear in the wild.  I'll try
and find the source for the photo (maybe one of the old Time/Life Nature
series [Africa? Mammals?] or maybe Natty Geo [aka National Geographic]).

Rearing stegs and sauropods make more sense to me than (for example) rearing
elephants and horses, which are much MUCH more front-heavy.  At least in
dinos, the weight is balanced over the hips.  Still, a difficult thing to
demonstrate.

(Of course, as R. McNeil Alexander points out, all male dinos must have been
capable of rearing on their hind legs, at least to mate...)

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland