RE: more cladistics

>I was simply
>saying that the derived character "feathers present" is and will remain =
>very weak synapomorphy of Avialae, because it is so rarely observed.  =
>Other
>derived, skeletal characters (see Gauthier, 1986, for the classic work) =
>unite
>Archaeopteryx and modern birds.

What skeletal features unite Archaeopteryx and birds? As I understand =
there are a lot of features which are more theropod then bird.

I would also like to know what people think on the evolution of birds. =
For example, did they evolve "ground upwards" or "trees downwards", as =
David Norman puts it? Was Archaeopteryx a tree dweller? If so were other =
dinosaurs?

All the best

James Shields